An important consideration for fires and fire making in western North America is fire hazard and restrictions on fires. Canister stoves are often legal, while solo stoves and their ilk would not be (sometimes, all fires and even entry into the woods are prohibited). This is not mere bureaucratic niggling. The disastrous Rim Fire just this summer was apparently started by an illegal campfire.

Over the years, I have gotten away from burning wood, primarily because of safety and convenience. I will be enjoying my nice cup of tea, to say nothing of my hearty bowl of oatmeal, while wood fire aficionados are still gathering fuel. My fuel canister becomes lighter as I use it up, while others are required to lug around their folding box.

This does, however, create a paradox. Building and lighting a fire is an absolutely fundamental outdoor skill, and like any skill, it require practice to attain and maintain proficiency, especially when conditions are poor. If you are wedded to canisters, esbit, etc., what do you do when your toys are depleted?

However you do it,just be sure that you can create fire when necessary. Just as important, know when not to strike that match.