Having options is good, no doubt about it. I hiked for my first few years carrying no stove at all. We would always stop, gather wood, and light a fire to heat up our can of beans or whatever. I then progressed to carrying a gas stove (Svea type) for winter situations. Over the years, especially after several wet, soggy trips, I carried a light backpacking type stove routinely. I have been very happy with a canister stove for the last several years - with canister, about half a pound; boils water is about three minutes; and is dead simple to operate. One small canister is plenty for the typical trip of three days or so. If and when your stove messes up, you can always light a wood fire, just like the old days - unless the fire danger is too high or the woods are too wet. If weight is really important, a home made alcohol stove (CAT) and fuel is simple and quite reliable. However you manage,I think it is important to have more than one way of getting fire and cooking a meal.

In a situation other than backpacking or other situations where weight is significant, this is all irrelevant - the more, the merrier.