Originally Posted By: benjammin
Now there is a great application for drones. The wonder of it is, you could unleash literally hundreds of drones to search an area. The tech we have access to nowadays will find people who are well hidden in desolate areas under adverse conditions.

I can't think of a better use for these things than SAR. Risk mitigation with drones is also a major factor. In fact, I could see where a drone could be used to locate a victim, provide valuable resources, communications etc, and give SAR teams a hard target to home in on and effect rescue.

Another one of our local SAR teams did some testing with small drones earlier this fall. One advantage I see with these sized drones in our mountainous terrain which is punctuated with deep narrow ravines and gullies along with dense tree cover, is the ability to maneuver into these type of areas much easier then larger drones.

John Lubbock