Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

I would buy a Wiggy's bag if I could afford it. What I needed was something that would work in a wide range of temperatures and be small enough for my already overstuffed trunk, and $75 was about the maximum I could afford for that.

My camping is with my small children, so it's car camping and not when very cold. The sleeping bags we use for that are accordingly light. The new sleeping bag is intended to put the finishing touches on my "stuck in a snowbank for three days" kit, which is about the worst survivable thing I think is worth planning for when I'm road-tripping. It's meant as a major improvement over the Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy.

Chaosmagnet,

Your Military bag is probably a Wiggy's. The tags should say if they are still in place. They are the prime and original manufacturer of the set you bought. The older style (which I think is what you have) are often available surplus or from former GI's for really good prices. Wash it as shown on the Wiggy's site, stuff it up, and be ready for serious cold. Not the lightest or most compact, but a serious cold weather bag at a super price. Just right for your need. I have and will trusted them for a while as my survival sleep system (in the car, in the airplane, in the canoe, sometimes even backpacking).

I agree, some of my worst nights were stuck in a snowbank type nights (usually on the plains of Wyoming or Montana, the wind gets nasty sometimes).

Respectfully,

Jerry