Michigan resident here.
I think general consensus is that we got the worst of it.
Outages peaked at over 600,000 and still remain over 30,000 a week later. In my office only one of us still had power after last Saturday night and we all live in completely different areas. Urban, suburbia, rural...didn't matter, everyone got nailed. I heard and saw transformers going off like popcorn all night. Finally at 4am Sunday my emergency lights came on...no power.

I've always lived in areas with extremely stable grids so we've never popped for a generator. Our in-laws bought one for "the family" to use, which has been rare but when we went out so did my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, who had the generator. Fortunately, a buddy still had power and a genny (Honda EU200i) to lend so I had our furnace going again within a few hours. Some of our neighbors bailed for relatives houses or hotels. Our next-door neighbors decided to stick it out so I lent them the genny when we weren't home and invited them over when we were. We were going to host a Christmas Eve party at our home and since I had things under control, rotating the genny (only a 1600watt running load) between the furnace, fridge, freezer, and well pump (Yes, I live in a city and have well water), we decided to keep our plans. We got an early Christmas present when our power came up at 4pm on Tuesday, just as people were arriving.

I have friends living in the city (Lansing, Michigan's capitol) who only get power back TODAY...a big relief to one of them whose wife just gave birth to their second child Friday. And our boss, who lives about 10 miles out, is still down.

LESSONS LEARNED:

Heat - The house stayed in the 60s for about 6 hours until I was able to procure a genny. After that, no problem. Without the genny and temps in the teens, we would definitely have been bugging out. I'm part snowman but my wife uses 2 blankets even in the summer.

Lighting - I'm a bit of a flashaholic so we were flush with LED lights and lanterns. Neighbors only had old florescent and incandescent camp lights running on large cell batteries that were ransacked after the storm. I gave them a bunch of Cs and D cell batteries that I had for my kids toys. I'm more of a AA or CR123 user. After I got the genny going I strung up a bunch of LED Christmas lights throughout the house. You can string up to 43 in a chain (vs 6 of the old incans) and they barely register to the genny.

Water - We have a well despite living in town. Previous owner didn't hookup when they started offering municipal water and it's $10k to get in now. This is the one time I would consider well water a negative. Thankfully we have a 90 gallon cistern instead of an on-demand pump so I only had to run it every couple hours to keep the pressure up.

Generator - like I said we've always lived in places with stable power so the need/fear has never been present. This has now changed and we're actually going to buy my buddy's genny. He wants to upgrade and I like the efficiency/mobility/quiet of the Honda. I could top off the 1 gallon tank at 11pm and not worry about it until 7am when I left for work.

Food - we were preparing to host a party, no worries.