Originally Posted By: Russ
Even then they would need a valid start point. They are essentially trying to track this person via satellite imagery without a ground truth. What did the terrain features look like just before he passed by and what changed? What would a tracker on the ground expect to see while following someone not trying to hide?

The missing hiker is thought to started in the Lynn Headwaters Park area. I know that area quite well and in the lower elevation areas, it is a very popular hiking area and has well marked trails. However once you get into the back country past Norvan Falls, the terrain can be quite challenging and you need to be well equipped to attempt to hike up in there. I don't think this person would of hiked that high up into the back country, but you never know.

One of the good/bad problems this year is the low snowfall but along with the rain, cooler temperatures and short daylight hours (it gets dark up there early) means that ill prepared people will push themselves past their normal limits and find themselves in trouble before they know it. Today, it is foggy here and I would suspect that same area is also socked in with fog and clouds.

John Lubbock