One of the local SAR teams, about 40 miles west of us, is conducting an ongoing search for a missing hiker. So far, the the search has come up empty handed after several attempts. And it is still uncertain whether this person even went hiking in the area that he previously said he had planned on.

Now the family of the missing hiker has funded further searching and the local SAR team with the assistance of a Discovery Channel producer and camera tech, along with a helicopter company have taken hi res photos and video of the area. These videos have started to be posted on YouTube and they are asking the public to review and see if they can spot any anomalies then email the SAR team with details.

In reviewing the first video, it is real difficult to discern and spot anything due to the terrain, weather etc. There have been some YouTube comments but so far, nothing concrete.

I am not sure though if I am in agreement with such crowdsourcing of SAR searches as it reminds me of the search for Steve Fossett. In the documentary "The Last Flight of Steve Fossett." I recall a comment to the affect that there 1000's of phone calls to the CAP and they had to change their phone number.

I suspect that with people "seeing" things that are not there in the video will result in a ton of emails and phone calls and all to no avail.

John Lubbock