Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
We've got all the emergency supplies we need, except a generator and alternate heating system

. . .

A small successful DIY project: I tweaked a soup can stove, using an overturned Ikea utensil can as a pot stand, for a much needed cup of coffee this morning. It worked brilliantly with some tea lights!

Glad everyone is safe and sound; I saw a lot of photos of downed trees, wires, and trees on top of cars and into homes on the news this morning.

A couple of quick thoughts:
1.) Depending on the type of heat your house uses, the generator might solve both the generator and "alternate heat" needs. If your source of heat is natural gas, propane or oil, it should not take much power to run the fan and furnace. We have natural gas, and did this for many years when we lost power. The tricky part is being able to get the power into the heating system. Depending on how it is wired, you may need an electrician friend to help.

2.) Was the DIY stove for practice or out of need? If the latter, I really suggest picking up a coleman or equivalent 2 burner propane stove. Simple, easy and works well. I think its safe enough to use indoors with adult supervision and in a safe location. Two burners should be enough to get everyone something hot. . .

Thanks for the report and good luck with the next round.