Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The silk liner a bivi cover will probably add another 5 degree Celsius. A Thermolite Reactor extreme liner would probably be even better than the silk liner.

The army issue reversible Softie tops and bottoms SgtFruitcake was wearing will easily add another 10-12 Degree Celsius to the sleep system.

Military Issue Sleep Bags such as the US Modular Sleep System are generally rated for lower temperatures than civilian specification bags (military personnel are expected to cope with colder temperatures) for similar technology and weight and are not included in the Civilian EN13537 specification. They are available in the UK.

AFLM, Thanks for the corrections on the bag and cover. It does not change the issue though. He did not include the Softie set in his display of the size (and weight) of the lighter system. And he is still showing a -15 bag, -25 with the Softie, against a -40 bag (civ. rating) without adding the cover and without wearing the Softie. The two systems are not in the same catagory.

I would not recommend the Wiggys bag for backpacking, I use mine for canoeing and winter conditions although it is not bad for backpacking in mild conditions (just the overbag down to 0C and just the inner bag to -15C). It is also great for car camping or winter survival (snow machine, aircraft, etc.) because it it a stronger design than the lighter bags designed for backpacking and climbing.

Respectfully,

Jerry