Well, up and over the south ridge at this time of year might be problematic for a 10 mile hike due south, but it was just an example. I am sure there are worse places to find. Picking one that would be of greater interest to the PJ shouldn't be too hard.

As for false distress, that would be extremely difficult to prove if I were out on location and claimed I was lost. You don't actually have to be in distress to make it appear enough like you might be.

But remember, this is a training mission, not an actual survival situation, so if they are looking for a challenge, I am certain it would be fairly easy to generate one. I mean, if they are going to respond to a call like this one in Cantwell, then the bar isn't that high. The ride home is just incidental.

Since the budget is being spent anyways, I may as well get my money's worth out of them too. It seem only fair, since I wouldn't otherwise be in need of their services.

Is it really such a dreadful machination to plan on using their services as part of my exploration, rather than simply wait until I might be forced to due to unfortunate event? If I include their participation in my plans, my chance for success should be much improved. What's wrong with that?