The articles seem too sketchy at this point to support decent analysis of the incident. One thing that came to mind is the troopers' description of the woman as "severely hypothermic", yet she was apparently able to speak with them and explain the situation. I suppose it is a matter of terminology, but even if a person is confused and has the "umbles" that is not what I know as severe hypothermia. Maybe the trooper first did some immediate action to help warm her, and only then was she able to communicate.

One article says "Her mobility was limited, Peters said, and she could not simply walk the mile back to the cabin". Is this because she was injured, or because she had a pre-existing handicap? If the latter is the case, I question the wisdom of leading the trapper lifestyle in those conditions and at that age with such a handicap.

Still, I've learned the hard way here on ETS to wait for better info after these incidents are initially reported.

Special thanks to folks like AKSAR and BenJammin for giving perspective as folks living in Alaska.