Originally Posted By: benjammin
That's what taxes are for. We get to pay for all that luck the idiots seem to find. Wish I were lucky, and not an idiot.
Lets not confuse issues here, shall we?

Whether or not they were idiots is one question. Since I wasn't there, and have no information other than press reports (which often have little to do with what actually happened), I will reserve judgement on their idiocy (or lack thereof) until I have more reliable information. Note that I would give you the same benefit of the doubt, should you become the subject of a SAR mission.

Regarding your tax dollars, a portion of those go to support the 176th Wing, Alaska National Guard, who's primary mission is combat SAR. They are very, very good at that mission. The reason they are so good at that mission is that they train, and train hard under the most realistic conditions possible. Hence some of your tax dollars go towards training.

Experience has well demonstrated that some of the best training possible for combat SAR is civilian SAR in Alaska. That is in fact why the 176th is located here. They get it all. Extremely challenging terrain, severe climate, real hurt people to use their medical skills on, vast distances and remote areas, difficult flying. About the only thing lacking is someone shooting at them. (Considering all the idiots with guns running around the woods in Alaska that too will probably happen, if it hasn't already.)

The fact remains that they would spend the exactly same tax dollars on training if they had not rescued this couple. The only difference being the training would not be as good.