Originally Posted By: Alex
The idea of bugging out to the woods ....... also might be viable in case of hostile military forces invasion, if you'd select to get out of war zone and avoid being captured on the road blocks along the borders.
The whole E&E thing sounds very romantic, but is way way down my list of likely scenarios.

And even in the highly unlikely event that I had to E&E, doing it your way would almost guarantee getting caught. Freshly cut logs and big camps with wooden beds aren't exactly subtle clues to your location. And your ".... huge fire, which could keep going unattended the entire night..." would be ridiculously easy to find. A SAR helo pilot once told me about how he was able to spot a candle glowing inside a tent on the tundra while he was still many miles off by using his NVGs.

I would make a well concealed camp using a small tent or tarp, or even better use a natural shelter of some sort. When I left I would try to minimize signs that I had been there (not leaving freshly cut logs, wood chips from chopping, big fire rings etc). In fact, I would try to not use a fire at all. If for some reason I absolutely had to have a fire, it would be as small and well hidden as I could possibly make it.