Originally Posted By: Alex
After all, a wilderness BOB is not for pleasure hiking, it's for sustainable survival away from civilization.

I think we've been coming at the question from totally different perspectives which does explain some of the difference in tool choices. I agree that if I was heading into the wilderness indefinitely that I'd want a proper axe.

Maybe I strayed a bit from the original question but I was really talking from the perspective of what tools I'd want to have with me in the wilderness to make survival (or general outdoors living) easier. As I alluded earlier in this thread, I don't think the idea of bugging out to the woods (indefinitely or not) is anything more than a romantic notion so it isn't something I'd either plan or advocate for. So, for the type of outdoors living and potential survival situations I plan for (other than car camping), the axe doesn't really fit my needs.