Originally Posted By: Alex
The axe's primary purpose is to cut quite a serious size trees (for fire and shelter), not just splitting some kindling. Sure thing, that's not what a typical overnight walk in the park demands or even allows. ..... A decent folding saw might be OK for a 2-4 inch twig, but it takes quite a time and effort to saw it, even if it's a dry wood, and the tree is already on the ground.
A Sven Saw will quite easily cut a 4 or even 5 inch tree or branch. I can't recall ever needing to cut any thing bigger than that.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Alex
Imagine building a full size sleeping wood platform for 2 above the snow with just a folding saw and a knife, it will take half of the day or more. With a long axe - an hour and half - max.

Actually, I do have a hard time imagining a sleeping platform for two above the snow. I would prefer to erect a tent, possibly even a floorless model. I will be warmer and it will take less time. I'll bet a proficient person can build an igloo in about an hour and one half(I am not that dude) and that will be even better. If you snuggle down in the snow, the temperature will be about 32F, while if you are suspended above, you will be subject to whatever the ambient temp might be...-40F?
Yes indeed. I've spent a fair bit of time out in the snow, and a "sleeping wood platform....above the snow" doesn't ring my bell. A tent, igloo, classic snow cave or any one of an infinate number of other improvised snow shelters will be a much warmer way to spend the night.