To get a bit more specific with my tool list, here is what I have been bringing with me into the woods most recently for overnight trips (in both summer & winter conditions):
  • Fallkniven F1 (4" fixed blade)
  • Bacho Folding Wood Saw (7.5" blade)
  • Wenger S13 (85mm SAK, locking main blade, saw, etc)
  • Gerber Gator Combo Axe (small hatchet ... 8.75" overall length, ~1.5 lbs)

I have found that the F1 & Bacho are more than capable for gathering & processing firewood. The saw especially is a huge benefit ... this became very noticeable when I was processing wood alongside my buddy who was using his larger Gerber hatchet (the Sport Axe I think) when we were out last winter. I was churning out noticeably more wood than he was with a lower overall effort and in less time. Saws simply rock in the woods.

For splitting wood, again I have found that usually the F1 is more than capable at splitting what I typically need to get a good fire going. I do use my Gerber for splitting, but it's usually more out of convenience than necessity.

Regarding the SAK, it usually doesn't get much use. I got lazy and brought some canned food on one trip so I really needed it there smile and occasionally I'll need the screwdriver when swapping out batteries, but mostly it's there just in case.

As I said, the hatchet I never feel is really needed, but I bring it because it does make some wood splitting a little more convenient and I really like it for pounding in my tent stakes. However, I've been eyeing up some hammocks recently so even that utility may not last. If I do switch to a hammock, I think my hatchet will be staying home.

So, based on my real world use of these tools, I put the knife & saw as my #1 & #2 edged tools. As a benefit, the pair weighs under 3/4 of a pound (Bacho 180g, F1 150g); they are an easy combo to bring on any outdoor adventure.