Originally Posted By: MDinana
"Bugging out" without a place to go isn't bugging out, it's becoming a refugee.

Agreed. But depending on where you live, perhaps camping gear needs to be a part of some people's BoB.

My BoB consists of clothing, cash, documents, medication for me to stay in relative comfort for up to 7 days once I reach safe shelter. There are very few survival items, because it is not a survival kit per se. I do have some minimal food, shelter and water if I get caught outdoors for a night or two trying to reach shelter. In fact I use my BoB practically anytime I travel, just adding or subtracting some items appropriate to the intended activities. After all, a disaster is no less likely to occur when I'm on vacation than home, so why go unprepared?

On the other hand, the GHB in my vehicle is intended specifically to be able to survive outdoors for at least three days, possibly more if the food is stretched or supplemented. This is based on the time, distance and terrain involved in getting home or to my nearest alternate safe location from my office.