I have messed around with MOLLE gear a fair amount. At first I was thrilled to have the modularity. But I quickly found that all those straps, snaps, clips, and webbing ladders add weight fast. They also hold on to water and grime. The top tier military units acknowledge that it is a game of ounces, not pounds, and they have adapted by using less MOLLE/PALS when possible and using lighter weight versions when available.

Fortunately there are a few manufacturers (like Blue Force Gear) that have innovated some excellent lightweight versions of the MOLLE system. I have some of their stuff on my chest rig but it ain't cheap. You won't find it for $5.99 on eBay.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
No law against breaking out the old needle and thread and adding a bit of custom work. i don't have a sewing machine, but hand work does just fine for small jobs.

Amen to that. I used to use the Speedy Stitcher. They offer thread in any color you like as long as it's tan. Nowadays I use the Awl for All because I like its thread feed system better. It's less likely to bind and you can control the thread tension easily with your finger. They also make tough thread in many more colors.