Having a BOB doesn't mean run off to the wilderness. To give an example when I was still a kid the farm a mile or so up the road sold to new owners. The first winter there late one night their teen-age son came knocking on our door asking to sue the telephone because their house was on fire. He ran down the road in his pajamas and bare feet so we gave him some shoes and a coat to warm up while he waited. So one of my reasons for having a BOB/Go Bag/Whatever you want to call it was to have a bag with a change of clothes and shoes and keys to the vehicles hanging within reach of where I sleep should I need to get out of the house so fast I can't get dressed.

I've seen it happen again just a couple years ago where neighbors had to evac the house when the dryer in the basement caught fire. I've had to drop and go twice from my home to my parents home 250 miles away when there was an emergency and as my parents get older I predict I may have to do the same again. So we keep "BoB's" packed all the time. Last time for example my mother called me at work to tell me they sent my grandmother home from the hospital so she could spend her final few hours at home. I was able to call home and tell me wife to just grab the BOB's and we left. No running around the house trying grabbing and packing things from the bathroom or trying to do laundry to have enough clothes to wear.

Those are the more likely scenarios that I prep for and keep a "BOB" for.

Edited by Eugene (11/25/13 01:06 PM)