Good request. I have experienced zero problems with this technique, either with my stuffing or with someone else stuffing it and yet another person deploying the line. I first used stuffing in a SAR context where I did not know when or who had last packaged the rope.

I have since adopted a rope bag for all of my personal ropes. In a two recent trips, I deployed three separate ropes from their bags on three occasions for rappels with flawless performance.

I have thrown ropes with a bag to set up a rappel and found it works flawlessly, wind or not, with much better control over rope placement. I have even rappeled with the bag clipped low on my harness, feeding it out as I descended, which probably shows ultimate confidence. I did have the far end tied in a very fat knot.

I put conditional language in my previous post because I think that someone, somehow, (ingenious creatures that we are) could undeploy (ploy?) the rope in such a manner as to f-mess up the system somehow, but I have never witnessed such an event. I have had all sorts of problems with coiled ropes, static or otherwise.

And yes, I agree it is too simple and easy to be true - but the technique gives every indication of working right - every time. YMMV. I keep thinking of the passages in Moby Dick where Melville describes the patient coiling of the harpoon line in tubs - if only they had a rope bag!

Need I mention that a rope bag is easily the most civilized way to keep ropes properly - other techniques are positively barbaric!

Edited by hikermor (11/14/13 11:05 PM)