A good resource for planning - and the thought process for planning - is Map Your Neighborhood. http://www.emd.wa.gov/myn/index.shtml. I did this a few years back in my immediate neighborhood, have to look but it was approx. 78 souls. Less than 100% cooperation of even my closest neighbors, some of them thought I was being intrusive asking about where their gas shut offs are. But most got it, and you turn up some good capabilities in the event of a disaster (folks who are prepared, folks who are elderly, on oxygen etc, folks with chain saws, medical or construction experience). And I think I have more street cred now than when I first did this, and could do an even better job mapping and preparing.

Advice: go in with some sort of community organization, a city or even a neighborhood association. I was just walking around alone jabbering about EQ preparedness, my CERT training came from a city 7 miles away and no one has heard of CERT where i live. Even one partner, one other interested neighbor, cuts in half what you need to do to contact your community, and attract others. 4-10 people, all the better. 100 all acting together, marvelous.

Be ready and prepared to respond after an EQ right away, the risks from fire and gas line ruptures is real. They talk about the Golden Hour, that's what it is. Stories about people surviving in collapsed structures for days dominate the news after every shake, making you think you have time to pull out survivors. But your best yield on keeping people alive comes early on. And no one ever wants to be under walls and rubble injured and immobile for very long anyway. Be ready to act right away. Don't rat hole on your first rescue opportunity, be pragmatic. Greatest good greatest number. Move.

Keep cribbing material in a plastic garbage can - extra points if you put that on wheels so you can wheel it down the block and not hoist it (requires 2 people, cribbing is heavy).

A truly isolated community is rare, but I have a friend who settled on an island up in the San Juans, and they purchased surplus fire hose to supplement the local volunteer fire fighters. My friend is former FF so they perform hose drills and otherwise keep up on prevention tactics.

Last thought, I am re-thinking my own expectations based on recent science that indicates the shakes in the PNW are much more severe than anyone imagined. 5 minute duration M8.0 or greater - seldom do the building codes account for that. They are finding that mid-rise buildings are far more prone to this than high rise or low-rise homes and businesses. And we can now expect far less stability from unreinforced masonry buildings (UMBs), which are everywhere. Such shakes may only occur every 700 years though. So I'm re-thinking, I don't have any concrete advice for new scenarios, but I recommend that we don't assume that our structures can survive as they have in past EQs. What if its worse, do you need to shake your assumptions up. At least in the PNW, we have to re-think this some more (California faults may be a tad more predictable).