Originally Posted By: wildman800
..... What few think about is the proximity that such a resource(s) are kept in relation to one's home. .... Store your supplies in a type of structure away from your home, in case it collapsed. For eq country, use a lightly built structure that if it collapsed, would not destroy your supplies and which said debris could be cleared from your supplies to make them accessible.
wildman, you raise a very good point. In the event of an earthquake, your home may collapse. Or, the quake may break a nat gas line, and your home may burn down. Or, lots of other things could happen. It is a good idea to have at least some of your supplies stashed separately from your house. This will increase the odds that you have your kit after disaster strikes. Much of the gear and supplies I would need after an earthquake is in my garage. If my house was destroyed, it might be unusable or inaccessable. For that reason, I've made it a point to put some stuff in the utility shed out in my back yard. If my house (and all it's contents) were totally destroyed, I would still have at least some critical items available from my shed.

Similar thinking could apply to other types of disasters. For example, if you live in a flood prone area, you might not want to put all your gear in the basement, but rather have some of it in the attic.