Originally Posted By: hikermor
Actually there are a lot of similarities to working with helos and planes in the lower 48. ......
Yes, that is certainly true. I was not intending to suggest that weather is not a significant issue for flying in the lower 48 or anywhere else. One can certainly get into trouble by flying in severe weather anyplace.

However, for the reasons I indicated, weather tends to be an even more serious issue for Alaska aviation than for most other places. Other factors include a larger percentage of flights to and from remote locations without proper landing facilities, and severe terrain. I believe the aircraft accident statistics support that. While great strides have been made in improving Alaska aviation safety, this is still a very dangerous place to fly. From the CDC document "COMMERCIAL AVIATION IN ALASKA":
Quote:
A disproportionate number of commuter and air taxi crashes occur in Alaska (Table 1). During 1990-2009 there were 1,615 commuter and air taxi crashes in the United States. Commuter and air taxi crashes in Alaska accounted for more than one-third of all commuter and air taxi crashes in the U.S., and approximately 20% of the fatal crashes and deaths.

Working as a pilot in Alaska continues to be a risky occupation. During 1990-2009, aviation crashes in Alaska caused 149 occupational pilot deaths (does not include military), an average of 8 pilot fatalities per year. These 149 fatalities over 20 years from a commercial pilot workforce of approximately 2,600 result in an annual pilot fatality rate of 287 per 100,000 pilots.

In recent years the pilot occupational fatality rate in Alaska has decreased to less than twice the rate for all U.S. pilots during 2003-2009. During this time there were 25 occupational pilot deaths (does not include military), resulting in an annual pilot fatality rate of 137 per 100,000 pilots. While this is an improvement, it is still approximately 36 times the mortality rate for all U.S. workers during the same time period. NIOSH continues to work with industry partners to improve occupational aviation safety.