Given the lack of certification, fairly high prices for instruction, and availability of good literature on the subject, why not just get out in the woods and work on techniques. Everyone, if they do enough trips, will sooner or later come up against a dicey situation, and will need experience and a set of well honed skills.

Haertig's example of fire making is a perfect example. A lecture in class or even a demonstration won't really do much for you - you need to get out and light fires, especially in less than optimum conditions. You also need to recognize, for that matter, when conditions are not right for making a fire and to do so would be extremely hazardous and unwise. You also need to keep in practice. i used to e quite good at building a fire from available items, but I am now quite rusty. It is so much simpler to carry any of various small stoves and commercial or easily fabricated tinder and firestarter. Same with shelter, accumulating water, etc.

I started my outdoors career before there were commercial classes or schools available, so I am essemtialy self taught. It worked well enough. Just be suitably cautious. The money you save can be spent on suitable gear.