Almost any bag would work, but I would look for "Maximum Legal Carryon" type bags which are specifically designed for this requirement. They range from $30 - $300+, depending on the quality and features you want. I personally like the convertible backpacks, but if this is strictly for business travel, then a rolling luggage would probably work better for you. If your laptop bag is designed for travel, a lot of them will slip on top of the handles of the roller so you don't have to manage two separate bags. I would think if you're checking a bag with the majority of your stuff, you should be able to get by with just one small carry-on bag. Most carryon bags have separate compartments for laptop to make it easier when going through security. I would strongly recommend not trying to juggle 3 bags through an airport, the less you carry the happier you'll be.

A couple of the more popular carry on bags that I've been looking at (note most are backpack/shoulder bag style) in order of price

Eagle Creek Morphus (Actually 2 bags in one, can be a rolling carryon and a backpack). I think it's kinda heavy for a bag, but an interesting concept.
Tom Bihn Tri-star (or the Aeronaut, but not as suit friendly)
Red Oxx Sky train
Patagonia MLC
E-bags TLS Motherlode Weekender (or the more basic Etech weekender 2.0)
Campmor Essential carryon (extremely cheap, but very light)

I've gone through a few other, but I always come back to the Campmor bag. It's a basic bag, no frills, but about 1/2 the weight of the others. I've probably put over 100K miles on it with no issue. You need to pack it more carefully since there is no shape to the bag, but adding some foam sheets helped a lot. It's a very highly regarded bag with the one bag crowd, and the reason I know it must be good is because my wife liked it so much she took it for herself, that's why I'm shopping for a new bag.