Some searches never end, they just fade away, as final leads and hypotheses are checked, sometimes long after the intensive phase has terminated. One such for me was the search for Paul Fugate, summarized here - http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/03/where-world-paul-fugate. We were following up new leads for months and years afterward. I would respond today if there were a new angle...

Our unit even took specialized mine rescue training in order to search the likely mine workings near Chiricahua National Monument. We learned, for instance, that a large signal mirror (repurposed medicine cabinet mirror) is a dandy tool for illuminating the dark corners of vertical mine shafts. We were interested in mine shafts since one likely scenario involved drug traffickers dumping his body in a mine. Or he may have skipped to Mexico. To this day,no one knows, although I think, looking at the available evidence, that he was offed by druggies.

Another such was Donald Lee Curtis, whose disappearance w in 1969 was reported by his hiking companion. They had separated on a trip in the Santa Catalina Mountains, and his companion, wildly hallucinatory, had no idea of where they had been. Thus the search area was the entire range, which is extensive and somewhat bumpy. Again,the operation lasted weeks and never really ended, since the secondary objective for the many succeeding searches in the range years later was Mr.Curtis, or what might have been left of him.

The confounding factor in this operation was that Curtis was due for induction in about two weeks after the date on which he disappeared. I don't believe this case has ever been resolved either.

When the initial hasty search doesn't turn up the victim, managers can employ multiple efforts. If a line search doesn't give a result, send in the dogs. Do a helicopter overflight. If those efforts are negative, expand the search area. Generally, if a search persisted beyond an initial 24 hour period, a quiet background check started. Did the subject have any problems, etc? Any withdrawals from bank accounts? You never know for sure...

AKSAR, don't let the accumulation of wisdom and experience keep you out of the field. It's not all speed and vigor. On several occasions, a stationary observer spotted our victim - little or no physical effort was involved. The kind of care required in doing an intensive sweep should be done at a slow, sedate pace - a lot like searching for archaeological material.

I have always been intrigued by the variety of talents and abilities that can contribute to SAR. Yes you do need raw physical power, but there are many many ways to contribute to a successful outcome.