J V A , this may be influenced by how quickly the storm brewed up. (I'm not saying that happened here, just as a for-instance) I'm reminded also of the experience of my father on the Pacific coast of Mexico. He was a pediatrician in Texas and the Texas Pediatric Society held a professional meeting at a Mexican resort. This occurred in the mid-70's. The last day of the meeting my father and a few friends had chartered a day fishing trip. Once out from the coast the winds got up and rain came down and soon my father and his friends were alternately bailing and hanging out the side of the craft to keep the boat level in the wind and waves. At one point, the wind and seas suddenly died; then got up from the other direction. They realized they had passed through the eye of a hurricane. They finally made it back to port. When my parents left Mexico the next day, one fishing boat was still overdue. My father told me later the governor of the state had ordered the commercial fishing boats to stay in port, but had not extended the order to private craft carrying tourists. I never heard what came of the overdue boat.