Okay, I'll admit you won't get a top shelf knife for the $10-ish price range. But what would you choose if you had to get a cheap knife for a survival kit? For the sake of argument let's say we're talking boreal forest, any season. Ten bucks in the general range, with maybe a buck or two leeway.

A couple ideas I'll throw out there; Mora or Opinel. Neither would be a great choice for batonning but both will take very good edges. Several Mora knives can be had for right around $10 if you shop carefully, as can Opinels like the No7 or smaller. Also, both can be had in carbon steel for that price (a little better for use with a firesteel and generally takes a better edge- not too worried about rusting in a survival situation).

What would you folks suggest? FWIW I'm specifying a lower priced knife for a situation where you had to put together kits for a number of people, making price an issue.

Alternatively, what cheaper blades have you tried and found to be unsatisfactory, even for the money?