Google "Gransfors Bruks" and you will find a tremendous amount of information and personal testimonials about why they are coveted by many. Even at full price they are reasonable for what are widely regarded as the best available axes. I was so impressed with my first one that I ended up with a collection.

Have had a couple of occasions to use the American Felling Axe (tree fall from derecho last year) and the Scandinavian Forest Axe (to knock down some small oaks at a weekend home). I also have some Wetterlings - they look the same but the GB's seem a bit finer and sharper (which you can rectify by sharpening the edge yourself).

I cannot recall ever seeing GBs on sale anywhere, ever. So was surprised and delighted to see Bean including the three models they carry in their annual fall sporting sale. Google right now and you won't find better deals anywhere.

Factor in Bean's free shipping and the integrity of their guarantee and this is a fabulous deal for those who seek to own Gransfors Bruks tools.

As for LL Bean, I've been a loyal customer for over a quarter-century. Whatever panache the Bean brand may denote they have earned through a century of quality and excellent customer service (they once saved my 4th of July vacation... long story).

Bean remains 100% family-owned and American-based. These are just some of the reasons I am an unabashed Beaniac.

P.S. I just ordered the GB sharpening stone. Plan on keeping my GBs forever and handing them down to my nieces (at least one is an outdoors enthusiast).