Originally Posted By: Bingley
For those who are not so well-informed, what's so great about the Gränsfor Bruks? How can you tell a good axe/hatchet from a bad one?

GBs are all handmade by guys that really know what they're doing. The smith initials his work so you know who built it. They're very well designed. The heat treat is outstanding, and you can put an edge that will shave your face yet still stand up to felling trees. Well, at least is you do them in that order. grin Ray Mears has carried one for years (and I don't think he has any financial interest in them). I think a Gränsfor Bruks is a little better than a Wetterling (although I think the former may have acquired the latter a few years back). You'd probably have to go the full on custom route to get anything better. One last thing to note is that generally GB uses extremely high quality handles, with none of the flaws you often see in cheaper axes.

I'm not saying the average camper would be better served with a Gränsfor Bruks hand a cheaper axe, especially if they're 1) not an expert and/or 2) don't use it all the time. But if you do a lot of work with an axe it may be worth your money.

Disclosure: I'm a major blade geek! My most expensive kitchen knife costs over $800 and I have a couple Busses in my collection. To me the cost of a really nice knife is often worth it. I don't buy based on looks (although I like pretty) but rather performance. You can't always see superior heat treat or uber high quality steel but you notice them under hard use.