As Chaosmagnet said, it is illegal for us to "broadcast" things to the general public. That said, Amateur radio is one of the few remaining communications mediums that is not encrypted (also illegal for us). The most useful place to listen would be in the VHF and UHF amateur bands. You would probably hear lots of us describing what we are seeing and experiencing locally.

We are no more privy to special knowledge than anyone else. And having been in many disasters as well as more than a few riots, it is next to impossible to actually know what is going on.

Your interests in the short term will be local. How bad is it? Where is the damage? Where are events taking place? That much we can tell and we do communicate it to each other.

However part of what I am doing will be trying to get hams to interface with the non-ham population. There are many options like the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) which is licensed but with no test. This service permits repeaters and licensed the whole family. Many hams (myself included) have GMRS licenses with the intent of providing a service to the general population.

There are other services as well. Rather than getting into all that here, I suggest you follow along with the blog.

Oh, getting a ham license is not all that difficult and then you can not only listen, but you can participate. Become part of the conversation, and part of the solution.

Blog link:

http://tinyurl.com/GDC-Welcome

Nomad.
aka Ron, N1AHH

PS. You asked what frequencies and I replied with GeekSpeak about bands. If you have a scanner, try between 145-148 Mhz. for starters. There are a number of smartphone scanner apps. You can tune in on various repeaters all over the world and listen to their local conversations. I have not messed with that for a few years so I am not up to date on the best ones. Mostly you will hear boring chit-chat. But after you get used to the software you will be able to link to repeaters in areas where something is going on. Like the recent fires, or Boston after the recent unpleasantness.

Edited by Nomad (09/09/13 03:12 AM)
Edit Reason: Added P.S.