Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Sounds cool! I would love to see Alaska like that one day. Sadly the demand for chefs probably isn't all that strong.
All those tourists who come up here in summer like to eat well. And even some of us locals, believe it or not. smile There are quite a few nice resturants in Anchorage, and also some in smaller towns. I have no idea how hard it is to land one of those jobs. Our local college has a "Culinary Arts" program, so there must be some demand for chefs.

There are also quite a few lodges that are open in the summer. Some cater to folks who pay big bucks to fly out to remote lodges to fly fish and what not. People who pay that kind of money for a vactation also expect good food. Even people at the less exclusive lodges like to eat. Those kinds of places usually also like it if you can do other things, like help with maintenance and whatnot. If you are a chef who is also a "jack of all trades" you could probably find a summer gig somewhere. I once talked with a lady who ran a lodge who told me her biggest hassle was finding good help who would stick around for the summer. Her place was on the road system, but several hours from the nearest town. She said she had hired lots of kids who came out there, worked for a month, then decided it was too boring and quit. Not too many tourists come here in the winter, so that kind of work would be seasonal.