Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Doug..wasps,hornets,i guess i was just using the wrong name as we just call them yellow jackets and they can be nasty.
i still have a bite mark on my hand where a bald face got me when i was taking photos of mushrooms on a canoe trip last year,i must of got too close to the nest.
i know bug spray is nasty stuff but the way i look at it in the last five years i have only used it twice in my yard.if i was hosing down every wasp/hornet that comes around i would be knee deep in empty cans.....

I suspected you meant wasps. But our forum spans a pretty large footprint, geographical and ecological, and there are lots of nasty biters I have yet to meet.

The mandibles on a bald-face are mighty impressive, and they are known to "bite" as well as sting. Consider yourself (relatively) lucky: the sting is often described as a white-hot rivet burning its way through your skin. Noooo thank you.

I have used a bug bomb twice in 19 years. These were situations where there were no other realistic options and there was an immediate danger to people. FWIW, they were the Chrysanthemum-derived (likely synthetic copies). Totally effective in the first go-round. And after a winter in the garden shed, totally ineffective. This is telling, and soothes my eco-guilt a little.