i'm lucky. where I go in the Sierras we do have wasps. i think they are so-called "paper wasps" but can't be sure about that. but they are very mild mannered. they are not aggressive. they do buzz around and can be numerous ... but they are just after salt, water or protein. nothing more. try putting a little meat juice on your finger and hold it out - see what happens. a lot of them show up. but they are only feeding, not attacking. so long as you remain calm - all is good.

I am guessing the yellow jackets are a lot the same way. maybe a bit more territorial. it does not pay to show agitation around wasps.

I do not like insecticides. they are some of the most toxic and environmentally damaging chemicals ever invented by man.

anyway, my solution is this. open a can of tuna fish.
walk about 40 yards from camp. find tree and smear some tuna (with juice) on the bark of the tree. i normally do it on a rough-barked tree like a pine - so the bits of tuna are caught on the edges of the bark. within about 15-30 mins all the wasps will go over there, and your camp site will be empty. they are just foraging. I put the "meat" for the wasps up high to avoid ants, that's all.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (08/27/13 04:27 AM)