Sorry to hear of your arthritis and other problems. One thing both I and my son have found useful is supplements of omega-3 fatty acids; the kind found in fatty fish like salmon and tuna, and vegetable sources like flaxseed. I have "arthritic changes" in both hands and I've found 4 grams of fish-oil supplements and a couple of tablespoons of milled flaxseed daily help the pain and stiffness quite a bit. My son has knee and shoulder problems related to high-school football and he relies on 6 grams of fish-oil daily. As far as I know, the most worrisome side effect to watch for is bleeding under the skin. That's a sign you're getting too much and need to back off some. Also it's wise to stop taking the supplements two weeks or so before scheduled surgery. fish-oil has a marked effect on blood platelets, making them less reactive so you may not heal as quickly after an operation. I had a small carcinoma taken from my chest a couple years ago and when the dermatologist removed the stitches, the wound opened. She was quite shaken. Next time I had scheduled surgery I stopped the fish-oil 2 weeks before and healed normally.