For around town, short trips to Forest Preserves, out-of-town drives, etc. I use an inexpensive "day pack" about the size of a large book pack. It has some "permanent residents" in terms of equipment. Also a scrap of closed-cell sleeping pad cut to fit the inside between my back and the contents. (ALL my packs have a "sit-pad" in/on them, and I use them) It has room to stuff my raingear and/or lightweight jacket in it if I'm not wearing it.<br><br>Depending on the local and the potential weather, I use a Kelty SlickRock internal Frame (no pockets) for day trips and short (over-nighters and weekenders). The volume varies easily and it is effortless to carry if the load is not heavy. I no longer do extended technical rock climbing, so a larger internal frame is not a pressing thing with me now a days.<br><br>Anything extended or involving heavy loads, I use my very old Camp Trails Freighter frame with the original "Moose Bag" (not the current one) on it. When I leave basecamp, I carry that as a day pack. An old friend, it has jumped out of airplanes with me and been in some very interesting places. It's older than my kids, and the nylon, sadly, is going to have to be replaced. A few years ago I replaced the suspension stuff with the Tech 5 stuff and like it even more (sure would have liked that when I was packing in gasoline-powered pumps and the like). If I could only have one, this is it. (Yes, I've even climbed with it - many times). YMMV... packs are personal. My boys prefer some rather large Jansport internals, but it is certain that they are not going to hold up as well as the Kelty. The Jansports do NOT fit me correctly, no matter what. My Kelty and Camp Trails packs are sized correctly for me. Advice on trying things in the store with weight is good. Renting gear before you buy it is even better, if that is available to you. Borrowing? Hehehe - I would never loan out my packs. You get attached to the ones that work for you...<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom Ayers