Updates to the list in this color.

Costco had a Steripen for a nice price so I picked one up. It led me to think about disinfection methods.

• Iodine tabs, like Potable Aqua. They make water taste nasty unless you have the neutralizer or drink mix to put in it, and reportedly don't work against Giardia
  • Chlorine dioxide tabs, also like Potable Aqua. I think they're a bit easier to use, they don't make water taste nasty, and they work against Giardia.
  • Calcium hypochlorite, such as pool shock. Best used when treating a large volume of water, I would think. Requires more steps than the other methods, but can also be used to create a bleach disinfection solution for other purposes.
  • Boiling. If you have a container, fuel and a way to make fire, can't be beat.
  • SODIS. Easy if you have the container, sunlight and time.
  • Steripen. Quick and easy...if you have batteries.
  • Filters. Quick and relatively easy, but may not remove viruses.
  • Iodine crystals. Roughly the same as iodine tabs? Need more information.
  • Miox. Uses both batteries and salt, not sure if there's an advantage to this.
  • Bio-sand filter. A great option for long-term use in a single location, not very portable.
  • Household bleach. Like the calcium hypochlorite but easier to use and doesn't store as long.

My field experience is limited -- I've boiled water while camping but normally I bring water so as not to have to treat it. Have I missed any methods that I should consider? What have been your experiences?

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/23/13 09:09 PM)