First of all, let me thank Quietly Learning for his most kind words:

"I want to thank hikemor, aksar and everyone else on this forum who has or still does put their life at risk to make sure the rest of us make it home everytime we play in the outdoors."

The truth of the matter is that the greatest risk on the typical SAR incident is the drive on established roads to base camp, basically the normal, routine sort of chance that nearly all of us take every day as we live normal lives.

Most SAR incidents are pretty routine -typically an overdue hiker who might be a bit hungry or thirsty but who is in no real trouble. Even when injury is involved or something more significant, the volunteer typically has the background, experience, and equipment to deal with the situation. "There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing."

Nearly all organizations (I know of no exceptions) adopt the protocol of not committing personnel to clearly risky environments (avalanche prone slopes, for example) until the hazard is controlled. Rescuers lives, as a matter of policy, come first.

Our group has always provided speakers and demonstrators for the public and schools, giving presentations on outdoor safety - a less spectacular effort, but often quite effective means of increasing outdoor safety awareness. Now with the internet, a forum like ETS is highly influential in raising safety awareness and fostering good practice. I doubt that any of the regular participants here will require significant outside assistance - they are far more likely to be providing aid themselves.

After all, self rendered aid is the aid that is most likely to be effective. With even the most effective and conscientious rescue groups, there is almost always an inevitable lag time in response, and the "Golden Hour" is typically squandered - so keep that FAK handy!

Even so, it is inevitable that people do die while participating in rescues. I can recall two fatalities in Yosemite Valley - one rescuer walked off a switchback on the Yosemite Falls trail and another (within this year) fell during a helicopter operation. For my money, YOSAR is a highly competent and effective organization, blending both professionals (NPS Rangers) and "volunteers" (typically valley rock climbers who do receive pay when engaged in an operation) - an outfit that has established new standards, especially for technical rescue. And there is definitely risk working beneath a hovering helicopter at night. But you could also find your home swallowed by a sinkhole in flatland Florida - risk is inevitable in life.