Originally Posted By: Bingley
It sounds like sometimes it might go overnight. Family is one thing, but how do rescue volunteers arrange for this with their paying jobs? What kind of demographics are these rescuers?

It always seemed that late Sunday afternoon, the very time I am responding to you,is prime time for operations to begin - people aren't returning on time and calls are made. I routinely pulled out of the driveway, looking into a setting sun, as I proceeded to base camp. A lot of the operations were fairly brief, about two hours or so (typically conducting a rescue/recovery at a known location, as opposed to a wide ranging search),but the duration varied between less than five minutes to more than two weeks. There was a definite peak on the weekends and on holidays. Unexpected weather events and all hall broke loose.

We were a fairly varied lot, ranging from teenagers to "mature." About 20-25% female. Obviously, it helps if your work situation can tolerate your absence. I found an obscure clause in our personnel manual that allowed up to forty hours administrative leave for public service of this type; sometimes I took vacation time. Eventually I finagled a schedule where I worked four ten hour days, taking the weekends and Mondays off. Some of our personnel had positions at the University of Arizona; quite a few worked for a local engineering firm that accommodated their interest. We had both MD's and RN's in our group. Obviously there are job situations that can't or won't compromise on the flexibility that is so useful in SAR.

While a fair number of use were competent in technical rescue, rock climbing, and all that, not all of us were, or needed to be. One thing I learned is that many people lacking superior outdoor ability could contribute, before, during, and after operations in all kinds of ways. I don't believe that any of us were available 100%of the time - I had a project that took me out of town during the summer most years I was active Our rescue group did not require mandatory attendance - you did what you could and participated when possible. You were a member as long as you paid your annual dues.

Most of all,I suppose, you acquire a "SAR mindset," realizing that the bell can ring at any time, and you may need to do the Clark Kent thing. This can lead to assembling two packs - one for the office and one for home.

It would be naive to think that activities of this sort can't stress your family and personal relationships. My first marriage ended during the time when I was most active, and while SAR was a factor, the dysfunction went far beyond SAR and its demands. I also know that the bonds you build with fellow rescuers are solid, deep, and substantial.

Bingley, your employer just might surprise you. Don't be discouraged by initial skepticism, but when you show continued activity, and, especially,leaving a comfortable workplace to do battle with the elements, you are likely to garner support and assistance. You are making a valid contribution to a better community and that is a win-win all around.

You will eventually encounter some rescue situations that will make a lot of but out scenarios seem mighty tame.