It occurs that if one wishes to be really ready to bug out, then one should consider volunteering for the local SAR outfit, especially if you will likely operate in wild terrain.

It has been a while since I was an active participant, but the basic contract seems the same; you are ready to go at any time, regardless of weather or other circumstances. You will soon find that the best way to meet this challenge is to have a bag ready to go, usually seasonally adjusted for prevailing conditions. Obviously, you don't want the weight of this bag to be excessive, but you also want all the fundamentals. You will need them if you participate long enough. You will be carrying some excess (mostly medical gear) since it is a given that you will be responding to situations involving injury and trauma.

You will become accustomed to rapid changes in your daily activities, which can become somewhat disconcerting to family and friends. They are likely to understand with time. If a bug out situations occurs, it will be just another day in the woods for you.

I make this post because, looking back, the time I devoted to mountain SAR (in Tucson with the Southern Arizona Rescue Association) is some of the most gratifying and worthwhile activities in which I have engaged. I received far more than I contributed - the rewards, in the final analysis, are immense.