Originally Posted By: benjammin
Yes, extracting the bolt in many bolt action rifles requires the trigger be pulled. In that case the bolt is already open, so effectively clearing the firearm and physically preventing an accidental discharge. ... Other firearm configurations may require similar procedures, always including manual clear and inspect of the chamber before depressing the trigger, so these items would meet the 2nd reason criteria I cited.

I have a hunting rifle with a Mauser 98 system. The trigger is pulled with safety on when disengaging the hair trigger with a loaded chamber. I would not file that under either of the two criteria. I still think our basic understanding of when to put the finger on the trigger is the same.

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I believe Condition 2 on a 1911 type single action semi-auto is no longer generally recommended.

The P226 is designed for condition 2 carry. I liked the fact that I could ease the hammer down without using the trigger. Getting used to that allows a stricter application of the rules you already stated.