Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Missionaries should also get their shots, learn about the AO, pack extra underwear...

U.S. State Department for years has been trying to clamp down on missionaries going overseas without proper shots, training and equipment. There's also a number of third world countries asking them to not come if they're not going to have their medical support staff. I believe most countries now require a special Carnet (I'm sure I spelled that wrong. It's a special visa/document for goods/merchandise) to even bring in medical supplies to a country. Gotta apply for them months ahead at embassies. Depending on the country you either pay a steep import tax or get it confiscated.

No, I think you got it spelled right. A carnet (a document that allows for temporarily transporting equipment across the border). I'm not sure about medical equipment but not having one tripped up Les Stroud on his recent trip to Belize with his crew. His camera equipment got held up because he was told he didn't need one (twice!). http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/06/survivorman-meets-u-s-customs/