In a two-year period, I build ten first aid kits, give or take. Bismuth Subsalicytate, 250 packets per box, has a shelf life of two years. Diphenhydramine, 200 packets per box, also has a shelf life of two years. To avoid waste, I can add twenty-five packets of Bismuth Subsalicytate or twenty packets of Diphenhydramine but not both unless I take stuff out which I prefer not to do.

Which do I add, the twenty packets of Diphenhydramine or twenty-five packets of Bismuth Subsalicytate?

Edit: If both are equally needed, I can play “musical chairs” with the medication packets and alcohol pads resulting in the kits not being identical, meaning one kit would have more of one item than another with the removed items going into kits used for other purposes.

Edit: I was off on my calculations making it more difficult to play “musical chairs” with the medications. I'm leading toward Diphenhydramine. The kit already has five packets of calcium carbonate.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (07/18/13 11:42 PM)