Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
A friend in the FAA who says that he believes his son will probably fly on airliners that have no pilot. The backup for the autpilot will be a flight attendant who has some simulator time to be able to land the plane if needed(maybe).

Considering that pilot error really is a major contributor to the remaining accident rate, it's a logical step to remove the pilot from the cockpit and substitute Windows Autopilot 1.0 instead. (and we all know just how error-free software is.... right?)

But you won't find ME on one of those flights!

It does not matter if the plane is flown my a Macintosh. Electronic devices fail. There needs to be an experienced pilot who can turn the computer off and fly the plane.

Jeanette Isabelle

IMO the problem at the core of the Asiana crash is that the pilots weren't doing their job(s) watching the automatic systems to make sure they were functioning correctly. At least two of the pilots should have been watching as the airspeed dropped below the 157 kt target speed and immediately asked themselves "WTH, why?" That the auto-throttle wasn't properly engaged or working correctly should have been fixed before the plane slowed to 150kts, not when the stall warning started shaking the pedals.

Airspeed/Vertical speed (I assume the 777 has a VSI)/Altitude -- that the aircraft became too low and too slow tells me there was massive complacence or incompetence in the cockpit -- probably a bit of both. You can call that crew coordination or whatever term the NTSB prefers, but all this talk about blaming automatic systems is BS; the pilots' primary job in these large aircraft is to ensure those systems are working and to watch as the airspeed is what it should be and the altitude is safe. If the auto-throttle wasn't working the flight crew should have gone to manual and maintained airspeed the old fashioned way. Otherwise Jeanette's Mac may as well occupy those seats which have a really good view of the crash site.