This is why I like open-source encryption products. The source code is posted, it is peer reviewed, and you can compile it yourself from source if you have any doubts.

I have a pretty good trust in TrueCrypt and PGP, but even with Truecrypt, you will want to make sure the files you want to protect are NOT on automatically mounted on boot as there are forensic kits out there that can scan the computers memory on boot through a firewire exploit to glean the keys from memory.

In fact, one of the safest methods in my opinion is to TrueCrypt a drive, then create a second virtual drive inside of that one, hide the encrypted file way down in the operating system somewhere and give it a .DLL or similar system extension. By doing this, you are effectively obscuring the obscured.

If you have a drive that is encrypted, then they know you are hiding something. If they want in bad enough, they will get in. However, if you have somehthing you want to hide, and you hide IT inside of something that is hidden, you at least can give yourself plausable deniability.

One more comment on all of this, apparently the Android OS Pattern Lock security is very secure as well, per this story -

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-b...-192617057.html

And finally.... it really all comes down to what I call the "The Principal Rule of all Thievery is covetry. something. You cannot steal what you do now know exists."