I am a big believer in checklists. For the past several weeks I have been creating checklists for a 4 hour presentation on Disaster Communications for the Individual. It is for a desert hamfest (Ham Radio Gathering) next winter in Arizona.

Everything discussed has an associated checklist. How to put up a field expedient tower, how to program various radios, what to do during various states of a disaster, the contents of equipment boxes and many more.

From experience I know that there is an extremely good feeling to have a checklist to work from when under stress. Not only does it refresh your memory, but you KNOW that the process has been carefully worked out in advance and that the result will be as desired.

This is especially true with todays complex, menu driven electronic gear. A checklist helps me be quicker, more accurate and much more confident in my actions.

It only takes one experience of being confused, looking at a piece of equipment you once knew how to operate and having that "brain dead" feeling to make you a believer in checklists.

If there is interest, I will post links to them and the PDF manual I will be providing with the seminar. The seminar is in January near Quartzsite AZ (google quartzfest for details) so they won't be done anytime soon.

Nomad