"Just one more reason to move to Colorado or New Mexico"

Oh heck no! I ran into tornado storms in both places. Both states have other severe weather issues, but when the tornadoes hit, they popped quick, moved fast, and folks caught in the paths of those funnels had little to no warning.

Never been a tornado here in Anchorage, and very rarely any lightning. One big earthquake every 50 years, a little over a hundred people killed a little over 150 people, mostly by tsunami, which would afford much more warning response time.

Here in Anchorage, not too many tall buildings that have to contend with seismic.

Would be a wild ride, but I doubt the body count will be that high when the next one pops. Some are predicting the next big Alaska earthquake could approach force 10. We figure that would be enough wave motion that if you were laying in bed it would bounce you off the ceiling, maybe even through it.

My office is on the second floor of the old Alaska RR building, which is a reinforced concrete building that survived the 9.2 quake in 64 and is still in good shape. Masonry isn't my preferred structure material for seismic resistance, but if it is thick enough it is more like a rock than a hollow chocolate bunny.

Edited by benjammin (06/01/13 08:11 AM)