We seem to be discussing the value of building codes, which is germane to being equipped to survive. On one extreme, we have the situation in Bangladesh, where the absence of code, or at least their enforcement, leads to very bad situations. While I don't know of any off hand, I am sure there are examples of unduly restrictive and pedantic building codes that hinder rather than help.

Living in earthquake country, I know that one reason real estate is relatively expensive here is the code requirements for many details that relate to building survival during a shaking event. Most of these have been instituted based on experience in quakes, and in my opinion, at least, are cost effective.

It also occurs to me that I have a lot of things "that almost will never be needed" - the seat belts in my car, my 357 magnum (nearly needed it once, though), the tourniquets in my FAK. I have never needed to use my signal mirror for aid, although it has come in handy on many occasions. I just replaced both my climbing helmet and biking helmet, although I wore them out without them ever actually saving my noggin. The list goes on and on.....