I have a few large blades and while they are useful for bigger tasks than an SAK, they would never be part of my EDC -- neither on person nor my EDC backpack -- so I cannot consider them to be survival knives, rather I consider them large wilderness/camping knives. As an example, my Fehrman Final Judgement while a great blade to have in a wilderness survival situation, is too large for EDC in any capacity. You would need to knowingly put yourself into the situation and then call it survival.

Survival is normally come-as-you-are which is why I wear or have within arms reach a survival vest when I'm flying. I am knowingly putting myself into a higher probability of harms way. But I carry all that stuff sitting down and if I ever deploy it I'll be swimming; in either case the weight of that vest is negligible. Does anyone here routinely carry a few extra lbs of steel on a casual hike or are there other items that might have a higher probability of being useful -- how about a half gallon of water?

I carry that knife in my truck along with a shovel and other large tools. At least for me it's not for routine carry.