If I am planning on being overnight and making a fire, I will likely have a small hatchet (Gator Axe) and saw (Bacho) with me. In these cases, the knife is almost secondary and either my fixed blade or my small SAK would be sufficient.

However, where I see the fixed blade (Fallkniven F1) shining is when I am not planning on overnighting. Most times, I won't need it at all, and other times it might see minimal use. But if I did find myself in a true survival situation I have a single tool that is more than capable of any task I need from it; the most critical being processing wood so I can make fire.

This is why I think I'll stick with the fixed blade on my belt; it's the tool that can cover all the bases if the need arises. Realistically, I could even leave the hatchet at home when overnighting but I like using the hatchet as a hammer too when setting up camp.

That said, regarding size I agree that around 4" is a good size (as can be seen in my choice of fixed blade).

Since we were talking about the BG knives earlier, I should mention it looks like the new Ultimate Pro knife seems to be a pretty good choice for those in the market for one now. They seem to be going for under $70 now and have some good improvements over the original (which still had good reviews) and you get a ferro rod & field sharpener in the package.